Thursday, February 12, 2009

How To Be Lovely


We're all familiar with what makes Audrey Hepburn so lovely. Not only was she a wonderful actress, but she was also an extremely decent human being, which is rare as celebrities go.

Her loveliness attracted the attention of some quality fashion designers of her time. Hubert de Givenchy is responsible for many of her most notable ensembles.

A lot of the classic styles of the 50s and 60s were very form-fitted in the bodice with full A-line skirts. They were very flattering, and not just on small thin body types. I think this is the reason why I tend to prefer these vintage styles. They work! Why redesign something that already works well? Plus, if you've ever worn a dress of this style, it just feels good to have on, hugging your best curves. Sort of like you're your own Audrey Hepburn, and who doesn't want to be like her in some way?

Check out this dress. I love how the skirt has pleats in the back but not in the front. She has a wide neckline and a fitted waist, which gives that very flattering triangular shape to the bodice. Very classy and lovely. Also the subtle pink fabric with horizontal stripes is a nice touch for this style. Sometimes you can choose pink and it'll go horribly wrong, other times it can work very well, even if pink isn't "your color." I'll have to write later to discuss fabrics and color choices.

Ps: Many of my first posts won't be about specific projects because my main project currently is my wedding dress, which I can't talk about here (yet) because Jon is one of my blog followers. But I love that he probably will be the only male to do so. And I'll share plenty about the wedding dress post May ;)

3 comments:

  1. I really like your site layout. It's very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, the safety code to enter in order to post my last comment was "bastort".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love the classic A-line cuts which are flattering on most all body types. Too bad we don't wear dresses much...I think people would really find it strange if I wore a skirt to work. I'm glad it's almost spring! I like wearing my below the knee A-line or tulip skirts to church, and I got to for the first tiem in awhile last Sunday!

    ReplyDelete