Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Introduction

I'm really excited to start this blog and share the things I've learned about sewing with whoever may be interested to explore a new hobby for themselves. I always wanted to host a sewing class but haven't yet been able to find the means or the time to do so. I'm hoping this blog might be a good solution for those interested. If you are, feel free to bookmark this page, or let me know if you want me to add your email to the list for updates.

Sewing has sort of become a lost art, not to mention viewed as a craft and not even an art. Don't be deceived by that notion! It will only make you feel as though you should join the red hat society, ha. There are very few girls my age that have discovered the pleasure in it, but I know there are a handful of you who would love to learn more.

Well I have some words for you if you're even somewhat interested, don't get discouraged by the beginning stages of learning to sew. Sewing is a puzzle to be solved, which involves a sometimes finicky machine that can tend to give you grief. These things can make you extremely frustrated until you get the hang of it. Don't give up! I really want to encourage you to keep at it. It took me about 4 years on and off to become confidant about just trying new things, solving the puzzles and just keeping at it. Eventually I became very fond of the challenge the puzzle presented me and I was able to overcome the doubt in my ability. When you get down to it and begin to understand the basic how-tos, it's really very simple. Once you get to that point, you can become more artistic and creative about your sewing projects, and really have something unique to wear, gift, or display. (Not to mention that altering your own clothes can save you a lot of money if you happen to be someone who needs that kind of work done often, and your clothes will always fit you the way they should).

So what do you say? Give it a shot. Try something new that challenges you. It's good for your soul. And feel free to use my blog as a reference for some tips and tricks that I have learned so far. I'll also be sharing my successful (and maybe sometimes the unsuccessful) projects I've worked on.

Go forth and enjoy a good challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment